Re: Herbs

Judy, key is going to be light and additional humidity.  Even
rosemary shrivels up in the desert-like atmosphere of most heated
homes in winter.  Can you rig a shop light over these guys? Not
decorative but works and is cheap.  I would also run a house fan on
them on low to keep up a good air circulation; helps discourage
assorted bugs and I'd set all of them on a good size tray of gravel
and keep that topped up with water to add humidity around the plants.
 Tarragon is actually a pretty hardy perennial; lives over for me in
the ground most of the time.  Basil gets woody after it flowers and
really ain't worth much after that, but if you can keep it from
flowering and give it extra light should make it; it's pretty easy
from cuttings generally.  Never grown stevia, so know zero about what
it will do.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Judy L Browning <judybrowning@lewiston.com>
> I planted a pot with cinnamon basil, tarragon & stevia this year.
It's in
> the house now and hopefully will survive until I can set it out
again. Any
> tips? The sun room has low E windows, so the sun lovers get lanky
and the
> shade lovers thrive. Just finished Forestfarms fall 2003 catalog.
Made great