Loss

Asian scale finally did in the old queen sago. I yanked all the fronds off earlier today so the yard-trash patrol could haul them away. The scale, which blows easily, was so thick in the air that it looked like a mini snow storm. Now we have a gaping hole in the barrier between the front patio and the street.

Site will have to be cleaned up before we decide what to plug the hole with. Fortunately, Cycas genus [essentially king and queen sagos in my neighborhood] are the only plants that seem to fall victim to the scale, so the infestation will eventually die out without further consequence I suspect and won't be a problem for whatever the replacement is.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10