Re: 2006 Calendar

There are so many causes out there, many very good ones that need and
deserve assistance and donations. But everyone is being stretched so far
this year. I heard that even the Red Cross had to take out a loan. I
read that Pakistan has only received 20% of the money that was pledged
for Tsunami releief. Meanwhile the local Christmas Bureau wrote a letter
to the editor of the local paper begging people not to forego their
normal Cmas pledges because of being tapped out.

As far as anyone hanging up on you because you asked for additional
info, that's just wrong. They made the call; they asked for your help.
If they're rude and hang up, you know you were justified in not giving
aid immediately. Call centers are supposed to train their people to be
polite and should provide their workers with solid replies for all
questions, such as an 800 number or an address you can contact for
additional details. If they don't, they are just cutting their chances
of your ever contributing and creating the possibility that you will
share your experience with others who then too may not contribute. When
you ask them to "put it in the mail.", that may not be possible for the
caller, but the supervisor should have something in place for such
situations....of course then you're on ANOTHER list. :+)

Kitty

-- james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net> wrote:
We get calls by the dozens from alleged charities. Ms. Fatma is a
sucker for any sob story so she's given to most of them in the past.
This year, I've been asking them to "put it in the mail." Figure that
way I could check them out on one of those charity-evaluation web
sites--you know, what percentage of their solicitation revenue is spent
trying to get more solicitations and such. 90 percent of the callers,
especially the cops' benevolent groups and cancer-of-the- parts groups,
take offense and hang up. Interesting, no?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10