Re: 2006 Calendar

We get calls by the dozens from alleged charities. Ms. Fatma is a sucker for any sob story so she's given to most of them in the past. This year, I've been asking them to "put it in the mail." Figure that way I could check them out on one of those charity-evaluation web sites--you know, what percentage of their solicitation revenue is spent trying to get more solicitations and such. 90 percent of the callers, especially the cops' benevolent groups and cancer-of-the- parts groups, take offense and hang up. Interesting, no?

On Nov 17, 2005, at 12:07 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

Chris, years ago I contacted all the charities I gave to and told them I was
selecting one. The criteria for the chosen one included no crap. I want my
donation to go to the cause, not to thankyou "gifts". The one I chose had a
newsletter for which the printing and postage was paid for by a donor. 100%
went to the charity. I do also give to DAV, but they assured me that none
of my contribution goes to paying for the address labels they send me and
they put me on a list for once a year contact so less money would be wasted
contacting me.

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Petersen" <chris@widom-assoc.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:23 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] 2006 Calendar

I get so many free calendars (and gift cards, wrapping paper, etc.) from
all
the nature and other charities that I donate to that I have more than
enough
to go around! Right now the Nature Conservancy calendar is in my home
office and Habitat for Humanity is hanging in my kitchen. I wish I could
find a good place to give away all the cards! I usually bag them up for
anybody's rummage sale! Any that I especially like, I keep. I always use
the wrapping paper at the holidays, but I get so many address labels that
just keep the best. I get lots of pads as well and they come in handy. I
always wonder how these charities have money left over to fund their
projects after handing out tote bags, umbrellas, blankets, tee shirts,
etc.!!!!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)