From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Theresa W.
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 10:35 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Windy, rainy/ now trip and cat issues

It was good.  Nice to see family, but my mom's Alzheimers is worse and
worse. : ( Weather was gorgeous there.  We bought a pecan tree and I helped
my mom plant it in her yard.  She was so excited! (I get my gardening
addiction from her!) Today I actually had a day off!  I cleaned up all of
the front gardens.
My hands, wrists, legs etc are SORE!  Been way to long since I've been
outside.  I didn't get anything planted- still have plants and bulbs that
need to get in the ground.  Maybe Sunday- as tomorrow it's supposed to rain.
The stucco guys got all of the weather-proof paper and lathing on the house
today.  So-  if it manages not to rain for part of next week, that can get
started.  Yeah!

I've been doing cat care all week.  I took my grey (George) back to the vet
again Monday, as he's licked even more fur off of his belly and legs.  They
still thought it was an allergy, but I asked them to do whatever they needed
to, to rule out other possibility.  So, bloodwork (normal), and Xray.  Turns
out he has severe arthritis, with several calcified discs in his back,
closest to his tail.  SO, poor thing has been in pain, and in particular
hasn't be going #2 regularly- likely because it really hurts his back to.
So, now I'm giving him lactulose (basically the cat equivalent to miralax)
to make things "easier" for him.  Also, he's getting cat version of
glucosamine/chondrotin, and also an NSAID (Metalax) that is made for dogs,
but they use it for cats too.
He seems to be feeling more comfortable, but still definitely tender if he
gets too playful (at least he is playing some again!)  So, we're working on
this with him.  He hates the meds (lactulose and Metacam are both liquids-
so syringe makes if fairly easy to administer).  The gluc/chond is a capsule
that I open and sprinkle over a small amount of canned cat food (which he
loves!).  I'm also leaving the heat on higher, as he clearly is less
comfortable when it is chillier in the house (this was part of how I figured
out that something was definitely wrong and it wasn't an allergy.  Well,
that and the fact that he never seemed itchy).

So- that's my cat saga.

Theresa