Re: Windy, rainy/ now trip and cat issues

It was good.  Nice to see family, but my mom's Alzheimers is worse and
worse. : (
Weather was gorgeous there.  We bought a pecan tree and I helped my mom
plant it in her yard.  She was so excited! (I get my gardening addiction
from her!)
Today I actually had a day off!  I cleaned up all of the front gardens.
My hands, wrists, legs etc are SORE!  Been way to long since I've been
outside.  I didn't get anything planted- still have plants and bulbs
that need to get in the ground.  Maybe Sunday- as tomorrow it's supposed
to rain.  The stucco guys got all of the weather-proof paper and lathing
on the house today.  So-  if it manages not to rain for part of next
week, that can get started.  Yeah!

I've been doing cat care all week.  I took my grey (George) back to the
vet again Monday, as he's licked even more fur off of his belly and
legs.  They still thought it was an allergy, but I asked them to do
whatever they needed to, to rule out other possibility.  So, bloodwork
(normal), and Xray.  Turns out he has severe arthritis, with several
calcified discs in his back, closest to his tail.  SO, poor thing has
been in pain, and in particular hasn't be going #2 regularly- likely
because it really hurts his back to.  So, now I'm giving him lactulose
(basically the cat equivalent to miralax) to make things "easier" for
him.  Also, he's getting cat version of glucosamine/chondrotin, and also
an NSAID (Metalax) that is made for dogs, but they use it for cats too.
He seems to be feeling more comfortable, but still definitely tender if
he gets too playful (at least he is playing some again!)  So, we're
working on this with him.  He hates the meds (lactulose and Metacam are
both liquids- so syringe makes if fairly easy to administer).  The
gluc/chond is a capsule that I open and sprinkle over a small amount of
canned cat food (which he loves!).  I'm also leaving the heat on higher,
as he clearly is less comfortable when it is chillier in the house (this
was part of how I figured out that something was definitely wrong and it
wasn't an allergy.  Well, that and the fact that he never seemed itchy).

So- that's my cat saga.

Theresa