Wildlife
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Wildlife
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:18:41 -0500 (EST)

I don't think the Superstorm impacted the wildlife around here very much.
We have continued to have a pair of mallards on the pond, and our usual
assortment of birds and squirrels at the feeders.  But on Thanksgiving
morning a pair of wild turkeys paraded through our drive, and Sunday
morning as we drove out our lane we had to wait for a flock of about
fifteen to cross the road.

Then this afternoon our neighbor to the back telephoned to say that
there was a dead deer on our property just beyond the line.  There is a
small passage about four feet wide between the back of my garden
fence and the rail fence on the property line.  The deer - a handsome
buck with a rack, was in this passage.  What to do?  We called every
town office we could find a telephone number for, and each one said
it wasn't their business.  Finally we telephoned the county parks
department that has an installation just down the road from us - a
shooting range called the Sportsmen' s Center, but which is mostly
used by state and local police as a practice range.  The three houses
at the end of our little road back up on the Blue Mountain County Park
which is really an undeveloped strip of woods.  A couple of nice guys
came right out from the Sportsmen's Center and hauled the carcass
away for us.  They said it had been dead for a while.  I am sure I saw
this buck on Saturday afternoon.  He had not run from me when I tried
to chase him, but had gone off in the direction of the place where he
was found.  Deer don't usually run from me - they are all pretty tame
around here - come toward me sometimes to see what I want.  He
appeared to have been shot, so I guess he didn't run because he was
already injured.  Probably there was a hunter in the woods - since we hear
shooting from the Sportsmen's Center, we wouldn't have noticed shots
in the woods.  Of course, any shooting in Westchester County is
forbidden, but I'm sure some hunters are still out there.  We are so
overrun with deer that we sometimes wish there were at least a brief
hunting season.

What next?

Auralie