Re: Plant ID help please

> Wish I had more time, I could run out to Gibson and see what theirs is
> doing... but sorry, just don't have the two hours to do it. I tried calling
> there, but alas, just the PT help that doesn't have a clue about which plant
> I am talking about is working :(
>
> Maybe Chris is right, maybe someone in that gardens help had villosa at
> home, thought it was richardsonii and brought a cutting in?

H. villosa *is* a native too.  It likes rocky woody slopes and is found
in the Midwest and the western half of our Eastern states (i.e. Tennessee,
W. Virginia, etc.)

The flowers just don't look like H. richardsonii to me.  That one usually
has brownish-green flowers that are sparsely borne on really long stalks.

Personally, I still think it's H. villosa.  It can bloom as early as July,
has whitish plumes of flowers, and the leaves seem right.  :)

Here's a photo of the 'Autumn Bride' cultivar:

   http://www.avantgardensne.com/heuaut

And one of the straight species:

   http://www.ecostudies.org/FTGG/FTGG_09-27-04_3.jpg

Chris