Re: now train trip- was Sad cat news

Well, we're back. Sandy seems like her old self.  The vet came the day we left
and gave her another injection - said she couldn't believe how much she had
improved. I'm so thankful, but think it must have been an error at the lab.
Anyway, we went and came back - two nights on the train each way.  I don't
ever want to have to do that again.  We had the deluxe suites, but even so
there wasn't much room to move around.  Our meals were brought to us so
that we didn't have to stagger up and down corridors.  The showers didn't
really work that well, but we were able to clean ourselves.  The ride was
really
rough part of the way, especially at night when the train went much faster
than during the day.  The layovers in Chicago weren't bad - there is a very
nice waiting room for sleeper passengers.  They carried our baggage for us
and gave us rides to the cars.  On the way back we were scheduled for a six-
hour layover in Chicago, but the train was four hours late from Denver, and
when we got to Chicago they put us right on the train out- we were in the
waiting room less than half an hour.  Didn't get any supper that night, but
that
was not a big problem.  I'm just thankful to get home and find everything
right
back here.

Colorado was beautiful, as always.  They said the color was at its peak, and
it's true the aspens were lovely.  We had seen fall colors in the West before,
and I always remembered aspens as being pure gold.  This year there was a
lot of pinky-orange color such as I had never seen before.  My son who lives
there said he had never noticed it before.  What would cause this? Weather?
Soil conditions?

We took a couple of great day-trips - up to Estes Park and across the divide.
On the West slope there is a great deal of damage from pine beetles - entire
slopes of dead trees.  I assured my son that the forests will recover - I've
seen
such damage in Chincoteague and other places where regrowth was incredibly
quick - but he is sure that the area is done for.  Of course he is concerned
from
a real-estate viewpoint since they are considering buying a weekend place in
the mountains.  And of course Ma wouldn't know anything anyway.

The grandchildren were fun, but after six days I was exhausted.  Two more days
on the train coming home didn't help.  Now I am beginning to catch up bit by
bit.  Nice to go, but good to be home.
Auralie

In a message dated 9/29/2008 7:52:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,