Re: now train trip- was Sad cat news

----- Original Message -----
From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now train trip-

Hi Auralie,

> Colorado was beautiful, as always.  They said the color was at its peak,
and
> it's true the aspens were lovely.  We had seen fall colors in the West
before,
> and I always remembered aspens as being pure gold.  This year there was a
> lot of pinky-orange color such as I had never seen before.  My son who
lives
> there said he had never noticed it before.  What would cause this?
Weather?
> Soil conditions?

This year I noticed more orangey-red aspens, ANd I have lived here for 11
years. I think it may be more of a watering issue. The higher elevations had
a lot of snow which aspens like, but a rather dry summer.

> We took a couple of great day-trips - up to Estes Park and across the
divide.
> On the West slope there is a great deal of damage from pine beetles -
entire
> slopes of dead trees.  I assured my son that the forests will recover -
I've
> seen
> such damage in Chincoteague and other places where regrowth was incredibly
> quick - but he is sure that the area is done for.  Of course he is
concerned
> from
> a real-estate viewpoint since they are considering buying a weekend place
in
> the mountains.  And of course Ma wouldn't know anything anyway.

The forests will recover but very slowly. We do not get the water that the
east coast used to get. ;)
I have walked thru wild fire burn areas that are decades old and they are
still very open. Aspens and wildflowers galore recover very quickly, but
pine and spruce are very slow to come. A pine with a 6" trink may be 50
years old.
FOlks will need to get used to the openness and the new look. In many parts
of the state, new homes must have trees cleared 30 to 100 yards away from
the structure for fire mitigation. Any additions to the home must do
likewise. I do not know if buying an existing home will need to have that
done before the sale goes through but maybe it should.
    Insurance company's are looking at this fire issue pretty seriously. We
got a letter from our insurance company because of the firewood under the
deck. Now grant you, the last time a wildfire was close (4miles), we moved
what little we had left under there in May ..on down the hill. I also find
it very interesting that they show homes being saved by firemen al the time
on the news. BUT if they do not deem the area safe to get in an out of ,
they will REDLINE the home or neighborhood and leave it to fate. SO, if a
neighbor hood in these the mountains does not have access for fire equipment
because the roads are to steep, narrow, not not easily escaped from THATS
IT. And I have seen a lot of places like this. AUralie, tell your son to
have two escape routes out of his new weekend neighborhood in case of fire.
He may know this already.

Betsy