Re: now train trip- was Sad cat news

Interesting... and frightening, although chaparral may prove a better CO2 consumer than pine forest.

On Oct 16, 2008, at 4:05 PM, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/ SCOSI wrote:

Glad to hear your cat is feeling better.
Re the pine forests, I would be more inclined to agree with your son that they may not come back. The pine bark beetle can cause such damage because of the drought - but with global warming a reality, drought in the West is the new standard weather. Most experts are saying that we will have less water and more heat. Those conditions are not going to be favorable to growing more
forests.
I recently read a letter to the editor on this subject from someone who has been hiking the Pacific Coast Trail for many years. She wrote that in the past
15 years, she is seeing more and more burned areas along the trail in
California, and there is no regrowth of forest. Only mountain chaparral and/or
desert scrub; no pines, no oaks or other trees.

Cyndi

________________________________

From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net on behalf of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Wed 10/15/2008 11:56 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now train trip- was Sad cat news

Well, we're back. Sandy seems like her old self. The vet came the day we
left
and gave her another injection - said she couldn't believe how much she had improved. I'm so thankful, but think it must have been an error at the lab. Anyway, we went and came back - two nights on the train each way. I don't ever want to have to do that again. We had the deluxe suites, but even so there wasn't much room to move around. Our meals were brought to us so that we didn't have to stagger up and down corridors. The showers didn't really work that well, but we were able to clean ourselves. The ride was
really
rough part of the way, especially at night when the train went much faster than during the day. The layovers in Chicago weren't bad - there is a very nice waiting room for sleeper passengers. They carried our baggage for us and gave us rides to the cars. On the way back we were scheduled for a six- hour layover in Chicago, but the train was four hours late from Denver, and when we got to Chicago they put us right on the train out- we were in the waiting room less than half an hour. Didn't get any supper that night, but
that
was not a big problem. I'm just thankful to get home and find everything
right
back here.

Colorado was beautiful, as always. They said the color was at its peak, and
it's true the aspens were lovely.  We had seen fall colors in the West
before,
and I always remembered aspens as being pure gold. This year there was a lot of pinky-orange color such as I had never seen before. My son who lives there said he had never noticed it before. What would cause this? Weather?
Soil conditions?

We took a couple of great day-trips - up to Estes Park and across the divide. On the West slope there is a great deal of damage from pine beetles - entire slopes of dead trees. I assured my son that the forests will recover - I've
seen
such damage in Chincoteague and other places where regrowth was incredibly quick - but he is sure that the area is done for. Of course he is concerned
from
a real-estate viewpoint since they are considering buying a weekend place in
the mountains.  And of course Ma wouldn't know anything anyway.

The grandchildren were fun, but after six days I was exhausted. Two more
days
on the train coming home didn't help. Now I am beginning to catch up bit by
bit.  Nice to go, but good to be home.
Auralie

In a message dated 9/29/2008 7:52:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,