To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] iris

Thanks.

Nothing quite like seeing a whole meadow full of them. So are they
rhizomatous?

On Oct 23, 2008, at 2:55 PM, Kitty wrote:

Iris setosa is commonly called Bristle Pointed Iris and Alaska Wild
Iris.
Iris setosa subsp canadensis is a syn for Iris hookeri. Common name
Canada Beachhead Iris.

From my Iris book
Botanists believe that Iris setosa once flourished across the Bering
land bridge and throughout NA, but that the advance of the ice caps
obliterated it in the middle of the continent. Then, w the flooding
of the Bering land bridge to vcreate the Bearing Strait, the Asian
populations were separated from the Alaskan ones....lots more
interesting stuff about it.......

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@comcast.net