james singer wrote:
The one Andrea mentioned, Natchez, is considered the "standard" by breeders, the one to which all crepe myrtles are compared. It's quite attractive and a genuine landscape workhorse--street tree, accent plant, background color. Texas A&M's web site [sorry, no longer have a link] has a lot of good information on crepe myrtle cultivars, especially the ones developed by the National Arboretum [they are the ones, such as Natchez, named for Indian nations].

That said, I don't especially care for them. Don't know why.

On Oct 23, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI wrote:

I've never seen them that big here either, but in Los Angeles there are
big ones like that. Maybe it's a variety thing?

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Theresa G.
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:10 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] got my loquat planted/ now need tree recommendation

Really-  I've never seen a tree-sized crepe myrtle around here!  Hmmm-
maybe our hot dry weather stunts their growth??

andreah wrote:
What crepe myrtle are you referring to? Just curious-'Natchez' (which
is white) gets 25-30 ft tall and is gorgeous with peeling cinnamon
colored bark.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G."
<macycat3@sbcglobal.net>