Re: strange gardening year

Hmmm, yeah, strange year, but not in the same way, though I'm not far from
you. I just checked weather.com and they're showing predictions through Oct
6 - no frost expected yet. No trees changing color other than the occasional
leaf that lets go early.  The asters and anemones are still going strong.
And my toadlilies are sensational.  Tricyrtis macrantha ssp. macranthopsis -
the one with the drooping bright yellow flowers with red-spotted throats -
is absolutely loaded!   Autumn Phlox still hanging in there.  And of course
the Colchicum, almost all my varieties are up now.  That's the one thing
that seems early, but not by much.

Weeds?  Not much different here. But good volunteers have been abundant.  We
had some hot days in August but otherwise it's been a cool summer. It's been
pleasant the last few weeks and today was glorious.  Haven't had to turn the
heat on yet.

We had so much rain this summer some plants did rot out.  I had a tough time
keeping up with mowing.  The mosquitoes kept me from doing day to day
maintenance, so some things did get away from me - I forgot to pinch the row
of Persian Shields out front so they didn't branch out as much as I'd've
liked.  But otherwise, things looked better than ever.

I don't do food, so maybe that's why the difference.  I've heard other
folks' veggie gardens haven't been that good around here.  Personally, I
enjoyed the cool summer, but it did seem short. Sort of like I kept waiting
for it to start and when it finally did, it was over in a couple weeks.

Kitty