We've discussed drip irrigation and the like this summer and last. This past
spring, after dealing with that horrible hot dry summer last year, I decided
to be preppared and laid out Anderson hoses all around in april b4 things
came up.  (Andersons are those double-tubed strange aqua-green hoses that
have laser holes burned into them for sprinkling - or turned over can be
used for soaking)  Well, I only used themtwice because of all the rain and I
pulled them all up today.  These can't  or shouldn't be left out all winter.
And, whereas they work okay, they really aren't that good.

So I've been thinking drip irrigation. Then one of the guys in my MG group
installed sprayers in some of our beds.  He likes them raised; I prefer
closer to ground level.  But he had to cut hoses and mend the cuts and I
always have problems with leaky connections. The other day I was in Menards
and they had Nelson Simple-Soakers at 1/2 price.  50 feet, 5 sprinkler
heads, no tools required so I tried a set and they're easy, flexible, can
stay in place all winter and you can connect sets (of course that depends on
water pressure.).  So I went back and got some more.  I wasn't planning on
doing this until next year but this way I'll have them ready to install next
April and I won't be paying the price they will want then.

This is an investment - even at 1/2 price - but water $ aren't going to come
down, I expect next summer won't have as much rain, and I want to water my
plants more than I have in the past and to do it more efficiently.  I took
the easy way out with these kits but I am sort of "challenged" when it comes
to plumbing. This looked like  a good answer for me.  I plan for 2004 to be
less about acquiring new plants and more about maintenance and reorganizing
the beds.