Re: Katrina cont > today

But seriously, look at the size of the area affected and the number
of people involved and the complexity of the needs - food, water,
transport, yes, but also protection from disease, looters, and
further injury secondary to the storm. Then look at where the help is
coming from - all over the US (we have a NG military police unit and
a transportation Reserve unit being mobilized in our area, plus ARC
disaster response teams). Getting large numbers of people and
supplies into a place where airports and harbors and even the river
ports have been seriously compromised is another issue. All this does
take time, even though we would all have rather it could be done
yesterday. And NG/Reserve/ARC/whoever else can offer experienced help
are necessary - who else is available to actually make sure that
people receive the food and water? who else can assist in finding
stranded victims? who else can be expected to control looters and
remove the dead and vaccinate the living? Frustration is running high
and I can understand that, but it will be a long, long time before
that devastated region and people will achieve anything near normal
conditions.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b