Re: OT: bestfriends msg 2: hurricane relief help wanted

Thanks Libby,
I did donate a little to HSUS, but had hoped to be able to do something
for a group like this. I used to get mailings from Best Friends years
ago, so I know they are a good organization. I'll see what I can come up
with for them.

One of the saddest stories I saw on TV was an interview with a man who
had swum 8 hrs with his dogs. He was crying so hard, apologizing to the
dogs for not getting out sooner and putting them through this. At least
he still had them with him, but I don't know if he could find food for
them.

Part of me wishes I were closer so I could really help, while the other part is so grateful I don't live down there.

Kitty

-- Libby Valentine <L_Valentine@adelphia.net> wrote:
Since I know we have many animal lovers on the list...

Libby
Maryland zone 6

Dear Members and Friends,

Thank you so much for all the offers of help and support. Best Friends
role in the hurricane relief effort is now becoming considerably more
focused, and we'll be updating you every day or two. Here's today's update:

BACKGROUND:

We are now working on site with the St Francis Animal Sanctuary in
Tylertown - about 100 miles north of New Orleans. We consider them a
sister sanctuary. They have facilities for about 400 dogs and cats. And
they are being inundated! 80 more from the Humane Society of Louisiana.
And 100 more from Jefferson Parish (New Orleans) Animal Control.

They have food for less than 24 hours. And they have a well, but no
power to pump water. But they do have the basic facilities to operate as
a sanctuary for adoptable animals from New Orleans.

So we are working with them to build up their facilities and run a joint
project as base camp for adoptable animals being evacuated from New Orleans.

Our Director of Ops, Paul Berry, is now in metro New Orleans, working
with Bert Smith, Director of Animal Control for Jefferson Parish. Bert
is charged with rounding up stray animals. And he in turn will be taking
as many as we possibly can to the St Francis sanctuary for shelter, and
then to be placed in foster or adoptive homes.

A team of four from here at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary set off in a
convoy for Louisiana this morning (Thursday). They are carrying food,
generators, fencing, and many other supplies.

Another team from Best Friends Atlanta arrived in Louisiana this
afternoon to start ferrying animals from animal control to the St
Francis sanctuary.

HELP NEEDED:

We are now in a position to accept any and all offers of help. And thank
you so much for them.

We need volunteers and supplies to assist in the rescue and placement of
all of the animal refugees.

If you can help, please e-mail hrf@bestfriends.org
<mailto:hrf@bestfriends.org> with specific information on how you would
like to help, what expertise you may be able to supply and how best way
to contact you. We are compiling a list and will be contacting people as
the program develops. Please see the list below:

Volunteer help:

- People with emergency/disaster experience to work at the disaster site.

- Long term foster homes (approximately 3 months)

- Carpenters and other construction trades people to work at the
temporary and permanent shelter sites.

- Veterinarians and veterinary technicians

- Truckers

- People with trucks and vans to do animal and supply transport.

- People to collect and hold supplies until they ship

- People to volunteer at the Sanctuary for at least one week to cover
for deployed personnel.

Supplies needed:

*People needs:*

Toilet paper

Paper towels

Vegetarian People food that won't spoil or need refrigeration

Portable toilets and sanitizer

Insect repellent

Sun showers

Sunscreen

First aid kits for relief workers

Hand sanitizer

*Pet needs*

Pet Food

Animal Bedding

Crates (all sizes)

Collars/leads

Veterinary Supplies

Puppy and Kitten Formula

Canopy tents for the animals

Large cat tower/cage (for kittens)

Portable water bowls for animals

Microchip Scanners

* *

*General needs*

RVs, SUV's & Trucks (4x4), ATV's (loaned or donated)

Tarp

Two way radios

Generators

Rope

Duct tape

Cable ties

Fencing, both temporary and permanent

Heavy work gloves and welding gloves

Carpentry supplies

Gas cans

Gas for vehicles

Flashlights

Batteries (AA, AAA, C & D)

Water

Water tanks

Clorox bleach

Warehouse facilities near Tylertown, MS

Garbage cans

Garbage bags

Tents

Camping Gear

Towels

Blankets

Collapsible wire cages (extra large size)

Extension cords (heavy duty outdoor approved - 100 foot long)

Grooming clippers (electric)

Zip Lock bags (extra large size)

Important note: Please contact us at the number above before you buy
large quantities of any of these items.

This list is not exhaustive and if you think that you can offer goods or
services that can help, please contact  hrf@bestfriends.org
<mailto:hrf@bestfriends.org>. We will contact you soon.

No matter where you live or what you are able to physically do, you can
help the survivors by donating to the hurricane relief effort. Any
monies raised will go to help those animals and animal rescue
organizations affected by the disaster. Please donate on the website at
www.bestfriends.org or by calling **435-644-2001 ext. 104**.

Again, thank you so very much for all offers of help. We'll keep you
updated on developments.

Best Friends Animal Society

5001 Angel Canyon Road

Kanab, UT  84741

aileenw@bestfriends.org <mailto:aileenw@bestfriends.org>

www.bestfriends.org <http://www.bestfriends.org>

(435)644-3965  ext. 4165

A better world through kindness to animals.

Dear Members and Friends,

We now have a shipping address! Please send your donations of supplies to:

Best Friends Hurricane Relief

c/o Leigh Breland

1635 Misty Lane

Terry, MS 39170

Hurricane-related inquiries, including offers to donate supplies or
funds or to volunteer, may be directed to: 435.644.2001 x398 or
hurricane@bestfriends.org