RE: list

I haven't done any gardening to speak of, even though it's the perfect
time of year to plant things. Been busy with our new horse and other
chores (laundry, blech). I have spent more time than I like to admit
just sitting around admiring the weather and not gardening.
I did clean out the greenhouse last Sunday, mostly because I wanted to
read my paper where it was warm and not windy, but the greenhouse was a
disaster. By the time I was done I was overly warm, so much for that
idea. However, I dragged out a barrel of dead leaves and broken plastic
pots, organized the empties and the fertilizers, and killed two black
widow spiders. Have never seen black widows in there before so now I'm
considering spraying down the whole inside with bug killer. It's all
spiffy and waiting for the first plants to come in off the patio,
probably about a  month from now.
Speaking of critters you don't want to see, last night we went walking
on the aqueduct and saw four baby rattlesnakes right on the path over
about a mile and a half. Never seen more than one before. Over my
(faint) objections the guy we were with picked them up with a long stick
and flung them into the water - we didn't see them swim out. I am
unhappy over their probable fate but I'm not willing to have either me
or my dogs get bitten, plus this is a place where a lot of people walk.
Soooo...no happy options there I'm afraid.
The big Day fire in the Los Padres National Forest has been dumping a
lot of smoke our way each afternoon when the wind comes up. Yesterday
leaving work it was so bad you could barely see the sun, and that fire
is more than an hour's drive from here. Seems weird.
On Friday husband and I are skipping work and going to the Los Angeles
County Fair. Deep-fried twinkies, anyone?