  • Subject: Re: OT - AGAIN
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 19:34:09 -0400

> Thanks Chris.  I'm using Firefox now and it's running smoothly; it's my
> default, though it opens slowly.  I have one very important question about
> it though.  I just bought gloves on ebay via paypal.  I did not see a
> padlock in the toolbar that indicates in IE that the page is secure.  What
> does Firefox use to indicate security?

I also get a little padlock on the bottom right of my browser.
> >  and most importantly, has plugins!
> As far as I know I've never used a plugin.  Not sure I need any. I have
> weather.com in my links bar if I want to check the weather.  I don't use
> facebook, myspace, or any of those sort of things.  Better image browsing?
> I don't know, I just google what I'm looking for and browse them there.
> Thanks for the link though.  I'll see if there's anything I'd use.

For example, there's a plugin that displays the image EXIF headers.  Those
are secret headers that cameras put into images to list what all of the
camera settings are.  If I see a cool picture on Flickr, I can right
click on it, look at the EXIF headers, and see that they shot it at
ISO 200 with an f-stop of 8 and a shutter speed of 1/8s.  It's helped
me understand what kinds of things I need to do in my own photography.

Another plugin that I use is called Web of Trust (www.mywot.com).  People
report Web pages that have viruses, bad content, etc. and WoT will
warn you if you're going to a reportedly bad site.

Another can connect to gmail and let you know if you have a new message
without having to log in to gmail.  Adblock Plus will hide any advertisements
on pages.  The YouTube Video downloader will pop up a window asking
if you want to save the YouTube video that you're currently viewing.

And so on...

I could even envision a hort.net plugin that scanned for plant names in
pages that you downloaded, then made them right-clickable to bring you
to a page about that plant at hort.net.  ;)