nature signs

Many here are nature buffs in different climates.  So I am wondering what the
critters here are trying to tell me.

Every year the squirrels etc always buried the apples, pears etc getting ready
for winter.  This year, they are placing them high!  I watch thru the window
and seen him put a pear all the way on the top of a trellis in the clematis.
Now I noticed a pear on the top of the metal holder for the climbing rose
bush- wedged in between the butterfly metal wings on the top decoration, a
good 6ft up....

So, does this mean a lot of ice and freeze or 6 ft of snow is coming?

In all the years I have been here, I have never seen this before.... so
something is up!

Donna