Re: Thanks for the datura seeds Jesse!
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Thanks for the datura seeds Jesse!
  • From: Jesse Bell <justjess01@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:04:21 -0500

Oh good!  Glad you got 'em.  I start them indoors in mid-February
because they can be slow to germinate.  But once they DO...they grow
pretty fast.  I just keep them in a sunny window after that until
danger of frost is gone.  Need to rotate the pots periodically so they
don't grow crooked.  And you know what?  I don't even DO that anymore
because where I live, they just come back from the root/tuber...like
my four o'clocks do.  You're in California, right?  They should come
back from root for you.  These plants like dry heat and sun.  But if
they get too hot for long period of time, they wilt until it cools
off.  So I check them for water 2-3 times a week during the heat of
the summer.

HERE IS MY DISCLAIMER:  the self-seed.  A LOT.  So by May I'm picking
the new babies out like crazy.  I try to keep them deadheaded, but by
the end of the summer I usually get lazy and give up.  Then, what seed
pods are left on there get scattered.

I just love them.  They are beautiful and still doing well for me.

--
Jesse R. Bell