Re: Newbie question

  • Subject: Re: Newbie question
  • From: Bill Nash <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 22:38:16 -0400

Hey Sandy'DARLIN, ah's been wonderin: how ya'been'doin?..it's so nice to see your email!

I also live in a supposed Zone 4 climate (sometimes?) and the second week of May is usually the bullet-stage with our hostas (in this neck of our Arctic Wastelands, they call CADANA'land. *MUSH MUSH'doggies?*
    Depending on the weather patterns; and more precisely, the earliness of our jet-stream changing from our North'westerly flowing of winds coming down on us from those cold cold White Regions of Canada (up there in the NW Polar Areas <=> like Barbara Jackson in Manitoba..eh? *grin*
       It certainly looks like we may be in for a late summer arriving this year, so y'all livin down South?..Please point your fans Northward :( huh? *and thank you kindly in advance*
    I recall one year, Sandy-love, I took the whole month of May off work (vacation?) -- to pot hostas for some Nursery-owner friends; and it was a very very late season.   No eyes were even out of the ground yet in the first few weeks of May, so I dug them up blind, and potted same.  Of course, no Nurseries would take delivery of the plants until the leaves were fully opened, which happened in the first week of June.  I took an extra week off work, and would you believe: we moved out 5,000 potted hostas, in that first week of June, so everybody was happy.
    Last year, was a fairly early sping and summer arrival.  WE were already potting hostas in late March?  I would say in conclusion, Mr. Houck, that if you see hosta-eyes out of the ground by second week of May (in the bullet stage say?) then you are doing okay and swell.

                                    BTW SANDY...a few weeks ago, I was checking seeds in storage in my spare beer fridge; and I found, that the Daylily hem'seed you had sent me last Autumn, was sprouted at 40/45* Fahrenheit (inside the crisper section of that refrigerator?).  The Kleenex-tissue, which you had placed inside those small plastic bags, to keep seed dry I suppose?..had gotten moist somehow!  It was a good thing I looked at my seeds in storage, since finding the sprouted hem-seed, allowed me to sow it all, with fantastic germination resulting!  If you have hem-seed stored in your fridge, maybe you should check it, to see if perhaps it may have sprouted also --<just a thought?>
   I was planning to sow the hem-seed directly outdoors, in the last week of May, but after seeing the sprouted seed, I decided to sow it immediately.  These seedlings are under a secondary set of lights in my garage now, running at 60 * F presently.  I just wanted you to know, Sandy, that I saved your sprouted Daylily seedlings... just in the nick of time (and there are hundreds of them?) -- thought you might like to know this and kind thanks again.  How is your hosta seedling growing going?

BTW...if you ever feel like potting up some hostas for Saleable purposes, or just propagating them further?..I find that digging, dividing and potting-up at the Bullet-Stage; that is, before leaves are fully opened, is a good time to do this IMHO?  If it is done when leaves are fully opened, then these plant divisions will not grow again until late summer.  August through September, is also a good time to do root-division propagation, since the eyes are very pronounced and visible in late summer (AT THIS TIME OF YEAR! <=> showing next year's eye-plants, in the form of buds?).

hope this helps something...and...

SANDY? ...Best to you and all your loved ones!....and'y'all too?

HOSTA'ly yours

"Bill Nash Guelph Ontario Canada Zone 4" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
<=== pertaining to original email below===>