Re: Newbie question

  • Subject: Re: Newbie question
  • From: "Sandy Houck" <shouck@dmcom.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:27:10 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Bill my friend,
I'm glad to hear those daylily seeds did and are doing well for you. Summer of 2004 should give you some nice daylily blooms. All my daylily seeds are planted and well up now. I've never been able to keep daylily seeds from sprouting after about 3 months. They always start sprouting before then. I have plenty of nice looking young hostas thanks to you. That Let's streak F5 strain is a never ending source of fascination. At this point I have 8 variegated seedlings. Two show the red petioles and one shows that extra leafy material down the petiole. I'd really like to see those two traits combined. Not sure if anyone has seedlings with both traits?? We'll have to do some more trading. I'd love to fire off another batch of seedlings from that strain.
I've been keeping myself busy with new daylily beds. Hosta beds will have to come a little later. A good friends in-laws have had horses for over 20 years. Need I say they have one HUGE pile of poop. If you go back in time a few years on that pile you'll find the nicest black loam. I've been hauling in many pick up loads and many more yet to go.
Needless to say I have been a tad busy lately. Spring is finally here and I have to get moving! Great to be outdoors again.
Good luck with those daylily seedlings. I hope they thrill you half as much as these hosta seedlings have me!
Best to you and yours!
Sandy