Re: Weed control

At 03:16 PM 4/2/99 -0500, TOWNSHIP <township@acbm.qc.ca> wrote:
Question:  Can I use Round-Up on this area before the hostas emerge?  Or am I faced with a back
>breaking weekend of pulling weeds?  If Round up can be used, how early till
>how late?  Our days are warming up (50 in the sun today) nights are cool
>(30ish) , daffs. out 1".  Thanks.  Barbara  "township@acbm.qc.ca"
===>> mon cheri Babette ..one can spray Roundup right over top of hosta plants; and this, up to and during the "bullet stage" of hosta eyes sticking out of the ground.  As long as the hosta eyes/buds are still tightly furled & closed (bullet like?) the chemical will have no effect on the hostas.   Knowing this extends your spraying season somewhat eh?
          In zone 4 Ontario, I have not started Round Up spraying yet, since I prefer a warm two-day (60 degrees with no rain in forecast) to do so, but this will begin next week, if we get the weather for it.  I use a 3gallon back-back sprayer and blanket spray wherever weeds are evident.
          There is another product on the market, called 'Wipe Out' (I think, it's called?) which costs more money than Roundup, but my evaluations have concluded it to be the same chemical as Roundup, so I buy the cheaper one.  I have also been experimenting with the lawn weed-killer, known as 2-4-D, and spraying right over top of open-leaf hostas; and this, even during flowering stage, later in the season.  It did not kill the hostas in question, but plant damage was quite evident, so I shall not repeat this.

just some thoughts

Bill Nash Guelph Ontario Canada

ps...I am working on a friend's 160 acre farm, growing hosta seedlings.  He does not allow me to use any hazardous chemicals, but after showing him the data from Monsato (Roundup manufacturer?) he's approved our use of Roundup.  As an example, the farmer, who rents the farmland, sprayed a 50 acre field last Autumn, right next to the area where I grow the hostas, so I don't see how it can be a dangerous product, as far as wildlife, beneficial insects, birds & bees are concenered; and this in light of the fact, that farmers are using Roundup so favourably.   BTW...I'm the guy who drove the tractor, dumping tons of DDT-dust on vegetable crops, back in the late 1950's; and this, with just a hanky over my nose for protection.  This chemical was banned as a health hazard, as soon as chemical sprays arrived.  Does that mean, I am going to die some day, from over-exposure to DDT?  I do suppose however, being into 'Organic Gardening' (100 percent?) ...is always better ..LOL ..it's ju!
 st that chemical gardening is so tempting ...so I am into it