Re: OH! Christmas tree OH, Christmas tree.

Pump House Marina wrote:

> Hello all-
>
> I've got a question about about a specific mutation that has occured
> with one of my Hosta 'Christmas tree.'
>
> I've got five seperate plants.  4 are identical in appearence, one is
> different.  The cream edging is almost, if not over, an inch in
> width.  The others are smaller, about a 1/2" or less.   Looking at
> them all lined up it is the only difference.  All of the pic's I've
> seen of Christmas tree have had the thin margin.
>
> So.........  Knowing that slight improvements or variances in
> apperance sometime make for a 'new' hosta...... would this qualify or
> is this just a gem in my garden?  Any input would be great.
>
> Mike Pinterics
> Milwaukee, WI
> *************
Mike
On most variegated Hostas, there is a tendency for some real differences
in marginal pattern width.  This is not only true on the same variety,
between different plants, but even with in a single specimen.  If you
have one section of a plant that "looks different", sepirate it, and
observe it aganst a "controll" plant for at least three years.  Keep
carefull records, both written, and photographic.  When you are going
through this process, get othres opnions.  We frequently send pieces of
something like this to other gardens, for their evaulation.  Don't ever
be to hasty to declair a slight color deveation, a true "sport".  Thake
your time, and make sure.
Ran Lydell