RE: an iris question

  • Subject: RE: an iris question
  • From: "Mary Chastain" <mc_hosta@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:25:31 -0400

Narda, I had hundreds of tall bearded iris for years and never had a
problem. I think the key is simple. The insect places its eggs in the
flower. The little worm travels down the flower stalk and into the rhizome
where the problem begins. We soon learned that as soon as the flowering was
over we removed the stalk. Do this on a dry sunny day by giving the stalk a
jerk which causes it to snap just at the top of the rhizome. Then be sure to
remove the scapes from the beds but do not compost them.
There are chemicals that will kill the little buggers but we did not find it
necessary to use them. At one time people were using DDT which did work but
now we know better than that.
Mary