Re: Buyer Beware

  • Subject: Re: Buyer Beware
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:57:26 -0700 (PDT)

Dan and others:

>Mr. Freese has been paid and claims the plants were sent. The plants
>never arrived and Mr. Freese won't say who the carrier was.

I have a general question.  What is the attraction about buying
hostas, or for that matter just about any plant, from someone on an
auction when they have no idea of who is selling the plants and have
no idea of the quality?  I suspect that most of the people who sell
plants on the various auctions are honest, but it sure is easy for
unscrupulous people to make some quick money.  Maybe my philosophy is
overly cautious, but I have yet to find a hosta, daylily, lily or just
about any other plant that I just had to have at any cost - life is
going to go on whether or not I have the plant.  If there is something
I do want I'll look for it from an established business or from
someone I know.  Most of these auctions are not really auctions in my
view because the starting prices are set so high or a high reserve is
set.  There doesn't appear to be any shortage of hosta nurseries, so
what attracts people to the auctions?

Joe Halinar