Re: Zumbarizing

Hi guys. Earlier this summer I was happy to see that I had a hyacinthina which had two leaves with a wide, white strip on one side between the veins. I watched it closely, babied it...but new leaves came out green. So 2 or 3 weeks ago when I joined this group, I have been looking for a way to isolate this little guy in the hopes that next year he might show me some more stripes. I am thrilled to see what you are talking about here. I am going to give it a try. But a couple of questions?...What zone are you in that you do this in Oct? You obviously still have leaves on the plant, but how dormant is it in Oct? I live in southwest Missouri where the weather does at it pleases. And my other question is what exactly is Benlate? What is its purpose? Thanks already as you have given me the ideas to totally exasperate my family as they think I am Hosta-obsessed already. Wait till they see me next year!

From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
To: <hosta-open@hort.net>
Subject: Re: Zumbarizing
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 23:30:31 -0400

Hi Ran,
I have another method that has worked for me. If you have a division with a sported leaf or two, you would want the bud under that leaf to sprout. What I do with these is wait until early Oct. and remove all the leaves whose buds I don't want to sprout and then scrape off the buds. I leave the leaves I want buds from alone. Before planting again, I dust the plant with a little Benlate. It's pretty much guaranteed that the one you want will come up in the spring. You will get to keep the size that way, but it doesn't isolate as well as your method does.
........Bill Meyer

Bob
There are four methods used for crown divison/multiplication. They are Bud Cuttings (Alex Summers method) Rossizing, ( the method introduced by Henery Ross) Zumberizing, (Bill Zumbar) and Bud Isolation , ( Ran Lydell's method.) All these "processes" are done in late summer/early fall. Bud Cuttings - Individual buds , from the basel area are carefully removed. Ideally each has a bit of root. These can be planted in a high humus soil. They will come up in spring looking a bit like Tc plants. Rossizing - Carefull cuts are made through the entire basel area, starting where the leaves connect. A sharp , knife is pushed through the base & out the opposit side, and then pulled down ward to the root area. On larger plants several cuts can be made. These need to be done carefully so not to damage buds on ether side. Zumberizing - Cuts about 1/4 inch deep are made between the buds. The knife is pulled ( maintaning the 1/4 inch depth) down through the base to the root area. Bud Isolation - An arch shaped cut is made over and down between each bud. This is continued in the same manner as with Zumberizing. In all these methods, a dusting of all fresh cuts with a fungiside is necessary. I believe Bud Isolation works best, as it allows the bud to be totally "isolated" but still "feed" from common root system. The resulting plants will come apart easly in spring and will be large and devlope quickly. This process also allow one to isolate sports with better cances of not having them abort.
Thanks
Ran