Re: Zumbarizing

  • Subject: Re: Zumbarizing
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 09:18:58 -0400

Hi Kirsten,
        Probably the best time to do any of the tricks with buds is just as
the plants are going dormant for the winter. This seems to be the most
successful timing. You could wait until the leaves begin to yellow, but it's
OK to just do it a couple weeks before that. You want to do it when
everything is cooling down enough that they won't sprout into growth
immediately and be destroyed by frost. Benlate is a fungicide that is pretty
safe for humans but still very effective against fungus. I like it because
it works very well on hostas, even though it may be a problem with some
other plants, and because getting some on your skin while using it is not
dangerous. Some other fungicides can cause problems by skin contact and they
are really not any more effective than Benlate on hostas. I've never lost a
hosta to rot when I used Benlate on the cuts or other wounds to the rhizome.
Simply dusting or rubbing a little on the cut is all you need to do, and
this will have virtually no environmental impact. Unfortunately it is being
pulled from the market for other reasons, so you should get some quick if
you can. Other fungicides are good too, and since they all seem pretty
effective, I'd stick to those that are safer to use.
        What do you nursery folks like for fungicides?

........Bill Meyer