Squirrel Control

  • Subject: Squirrel Control
  • From: "Mortko, Robert A. (Rob)" MortkoRA@bv.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 15:20:31 -0500

Hi All,
A question for our commercial growers (or anyone else growing hostas in
small containers)...

Does anyone have a secret for keeping squirrels from digging in small
containers? They are especially a problem this time of year as the walnuts
are dropping from the trees. They seem to target the first year TC's in
their small containers to hide their "prizes" leaving an uprooted plant in
the process.

I had thought that the slug bait I had been using which contains Bitrex was
keeping them at bay most of the year, but this must have just been wishful
thinking.

Thanks,
Rob in KC

P.S. I had one vote for Liquid Fence on HostaPix. However I tried a couple
of other similar repellants that I had on hand but no luck. Any other
suggestions?