Great Expectations

I have several clumps of 'Great Expectations' created by planting 3 or 4 individual crowns tightly together; thus the "clump". I also have another "clump" consisting of 2 crowns growing in the worst possible location - at the edge of a large arborvitae bush where it has to compete for every thing it gets. This "clump" is very large in appearance; many times larger than the other "clump". I have treated both clumps equally in terms of water and fertilizer. I have no explanation for this, and I'm someone might have some an explanation. Thanks in advance,
John Lanier

MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
John and Laura Lanier
81 Summer Trees Lane
Burnsville NC  28714
Ph. (828) 682-4174