 Ah, the inevitable challenge from Mr Meyer.  Don't you have anything to

I'm trying to get my fall list out now, so I'm afraid I don't have too
much time to argue with you on this one.

Yes, 'Bridgewood 0017' is a name. I guess you got me on that one.

I put a number on a streaked plant once I decide it's worth keeping so I
can keep track of it's seedlings. I don't like to name them because they
are unstable and will eventually change to a stable plant. Actually the
plant is just labeled 0017, but if I do sell or give it to anyone, I
don't think that's sufficient and would attach "Bridgewood". And I also
don't care to debate whether 0017 is a number or a name. The reason I
asked the question is that 0017 is one of my best breeders but has not
stabilized yet and I don't want to give it a "real" name until it does.
It's just my preference, but I would prefer to name the stable plant and
refer to the streaked form as 'Stable Plant Streaked' or some such
thing.  That way, there is a connection between the streaked and stable
plant. '9944' stabilized and the margined form is now 'Graceland', '9944'
never left my nursery and it became 'Graceland Streaked' and anyone can
probably recognize the relationship.  If you disagree, which I'm sure you
do, that's fine.

I'm amazed by the prices people are paying for streaked plants that don't
look like anything special to me, and I wonder if it's because they've
been led to believe that streaking is unusual.  If I get around to
planting all the seeds I take this year, I can produce literally
thousands of streaked plants, but IMHO, unless they prove to be good
breeders or stabilize to something interesting, which most of them don't,
I don't see where the value comes from.  I hate to imply that I'm opposed
to separating a sucker from his/her money, but for some reason this trend
just bugs me.

And so that's the reason I'm not a big fan of "naming" so many streakers.
Maybe I should just shut up and start selling them too.  I can use the
money as much as anyone.

And actually, I don't have the same standards for stable plants. I've
said many times before that I think don't think there's anything wrong
with introducing plants that are not fantastic new breakthroughs in the
world of hostas, as long as the plant is described as honestly as
possible. And before you write a 3 page tome disputing my logic, remember
I said I don't really care.  I know there are those who feel there are
too many hostas, I just don't agree.

As for 'Admiral Halsey', I agree with your implication that it shouldn't
have been introduced and haven't sold it for years.  Surprisingly though,
I still get calls from people in Minnesota and thereabouts asking if they
can buy it because they saw it in someone's garden up there.  Apparently
the creamy gold margin I saw when I named the plant is dependent on
temperature, and some people up there like the plant. In most years it's
just 'Patriot' around here. So sue me.  By the way, my catalog
description of 'Admiral Halsey', when I did sell it, indicated that the
color was much more apparent in cooler areas and ended with the
following: "I don't know if the world needs another 'Patriot' variant,
and I had planned to keep this one to myself, but people who have seen it
at the nursery have asked for it."

Bill Meyer wrote:

  So Chick,
       I would assume that you are also not a big fan of naming margin,
  center, or solid-color plants if they were not truly unusual and outstanding
  for some reason too. Except maybe 'Admiral Halsey'. :-) The difference for
  streaked plants apparently is that must also give good offspring. It's not
  enough that they could be very attractive, have very stable streaking, be
  good growers, have a unique look, etc. Why do they have to meet standards
  higher than other types? Just wondering what the difference is in your eyes.
       Also, I'm not sure why you would think 'Bridgewood 0017' would not be a
  name. If it isn't a name, what is it?
                                       .......Bill Meyer

    Thanks Kevin,
    I have to admit that rules irritate me, but in this case I asked for it
    so I have only myself to blame.
    The reason I'm asking is that I am not a big fan of naming, nor or
    registering, streaked plants unless they are truly unusual and
    outstanding for some reason.  Obviously there are many who disagree
    because I see all kinds of plants being named that don't look any
    different than the hundreds of streaked plants I produce every year -
    thousands if you count the ones I throw out. I can't see any reason to
    introduce a streaked plant unless it's an outstanding breeder, and that
    doesn't mean just any streaked plant that will produce additional
    ordinary streaked plants.
    Anyway, I digress (does it seem that there's always a rant attached to
    my questions?).  I do have some streaked plants that I consider
    outstanding breeders and I have considered offering them for sale in the
    future.  Generally I number the seedlings I use for breeding and don't
    give them a name unless they stabilize into something I find
    interesting.  I think I was once told that I could not name a plant
    'Bridgewood 0017 ' legally because it didn't conform to the rules.  It
    would seem to me that if 'Apolo 13' is legal, then 'Bridgewood 0017'
    would be too.  Yes?