Re: NUMBERS IN HOSTA NAMES

  • Subject: Re: NUMBERS IN HOSTA NAMES
  • From: "Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC" <irismoose@daylily.net>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:10:17 -0400

Hey Bill,

The daylily registration process continues to evolve just like all the other
IRA's.  The one consistency is the ICNCP "rule book."  The daylily Registrar
reviews each submitted name.  After this review each name is submitted to
the full "Registrations Committee" along with the Registrar's recommendation
for each name.  Sometime the recommendation is to reject because the name is
already used or is in direct conflict with an existing rule (the reason is
always stated). This is all done via email and the process is efficient and
timely.  After final committee review the registrant is notified of the
decision.  All decisions are subject to an appeal process.  The first level
of appeal is back to the Registration Committee, the second level is to the
AHS Board of Director's, if still unsatisfied, the final appeal is to the
International Union of Biological Sciences Commission for the Nomenclature
of Cultivated Plants.

I was the first to test of the rules of the previous version of the ICNCP
rules several years in a daylily registration. I submitted the name "A Moose
Fishing On A Pond On Monday".  The registrar recommended to the committee
that the name be denied but the committee overruled her because the ICNCP at
the time stated that names could have up to 30 characters, excluding spaces,
and up to ten syllables.  I was not upset with the Registrar and we remain
happily married.

I am not aware of the appeal process within the Hosta society but feel that
any decision could ultimately be appealed to the IUBS.

We just started growing hostas this year, and next year will be my first
year of making crosses.  Hopefully a few years later I will register my
first  hosta.

Thank you for enjoying our web site.  That is another passion that has
gotten out of control.

Bobby