  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:50:23 -0400

Hi Bobby,
     Was just reading over the daylily registration rules at the AHemS site
here http://www.daylilies.org/AHSregister.html . So you're married to the
registrar, eh? Must make things interesting when it comes to naming
questions. Yes, things are much more developed than the AHosS registration
process. We're still pretty much just leaving everything up to the Registrar
at this point. There have been quite a few interesting challenges to the
system so far, and I think we'll see a more developed system in the future.
To appeal now you mostly go "Hey, Jim, what's wrong with my name? I think
you should allow it."
      I feel rules and guidelines are important because they put everyone,
even the Registrar, on the same footing. If you leave one person with too
much power over a process people inevitably complain they are abusing that
power even if they really aren't. With the ICNCP code being as vague as it
is, this becomes even more of a problem.
     The code is an attempt to put together a set of rules that will fairly
cover many different genera with very different plants among them. I feel
that most of our problems that come from not developing our own set of rules
come from applying a code that frequently is better adapted to flowers than
foliage. As the flowers are a secondary consideration with most hostas (few
are named for their flowers), we need guidelines which reflect the foliage
      One persistant argument about streaked hostas is that the code refers
to "stable" characteristics that can be propagated on, but does not define
what that means. Some interpret that to mean all propagated material must
carry that characteristic, while others say that if it can be propagated on
it is stable, regardless of some odd divisions that do not carry the trait.
These are the kind of things we need the AHosS to clarify in its own rules.
In the next few years we will probably begin looking into putting together a
set of rules for hosta registrations. It should make for some interesting di
       There were strong arguments that for a time held sway that streaked
hostas should not even be allowed to be registered. I believe that there was
a period when they were all rejected. Personally, I feel this was a mistake
because the whole purpose of registrations is to create a (somewhat)
accurate record of the plants of the time. What point is served by ignoring
some of the most interesting and influential plants? Everyone today knows
hostas like 'Dorothy Benedict', so how weird would it be for people looking
back from the future to find no registrations for such important hostas?
      While I disagree personally with Chick's opinion of streaked plants,
many others agree with him. Neither opinion is wrong in the eyes of either
the ICRA or the AHosS as neither has any clear rules on the subject. The
problem with not having rules is clearly illustrated by looking at what
would happen if the next Registrar decides he is of Chick's opinion and
again starts refusing any registrations for streaked plants.
                                       .......Bill Meyer