 I wish you would read what I say before you disagree with my opinion.
Nowhere did I say that streaked plants should not be registered just
because they are streaked. What I said was:

 "The reason I'm asking is that I am not a big fan of naming, nor or
    registering, streaked plants unless they are truly unusual and
    outstanding for some reason."

Obviously I consider 'Dorothy Benedict' and many others to be outstanding for some reason. What I'm really not a big fan of is naming streaked hostas that have no other distinction than being streaked, and from some of the pictures I've seen, I can't find any reason to name some of these plants except that there are folks out there who will pay big bucks for a plant  just because it's streaked. Seems to me it's taking advantage of people who don't really understand what they are buying.

Bill Meyer wrote:

  Hi Bobby,
       Was just reading over the daylily registration rules at the AHemS site
  here   http://www.daylilies.org/AHSregister.html   . So you're married to the
  registrar, eh? Must make things interesting when it comes to naming
  questions. Yes, things are much more developed than the AHosS registration
  process. We're still pretty much just leaving everything up to the Registrar
  at this point. There have been quite a few interesting challenges to the
  system so far, and I think we'll see a more developed system in the future.
  To appeal now you mostly go "Hey, Jim, what's wrong with my name? I think
  you should allow it."
        I feel rules and guidelines are important because they put everyone,
  even the Registrar, on the same footing. If you leave one person with too
  much power over a process people inevitably complain they are abusing that
  power even if they really aren't. With the ICNCP code being as vague as it
  is, this becomes even more of a problem.
       The code is an attempt to put together a set of rules that will fairly
  cover many different genera with very different plants among them. I feel
  that most of our problems that come from not developing our own set of rules
  come from applying a code that frequently is better adapted to flowers than
  foliage. As the flowers are a secondary consideration with most hostas (few
  are named for their flowers), we need guidelines which reflect the foliage
        One persistant argument about streaked hostas is that the code refers
  to "stable" characteristics that can be propagated on, but does not define
  what that means. Some interpret that to mean all propagated material must
  carry that characteristic, while others say that if it can be propagated on
  it is stable, regardless of some odd divisions that do not carry the trait.
  These are the kind of things we need the AHosS to clarify in its own rules.
  In the next few years we will probably begin looking into putting together a
  set of rules for hosta registrations. It should make for some interesting di
         There were strong arguments that for a time held sway that streaked
  hostas should not even be allowed to be registered. I believe that there was
  a period when they were all rejected. Personally, I feel this was a mistake
  because the whole purpose of registrations is to create a (somewhat)
  accurate record of the plants of the time. What point is served by ignoring
  some of the most interesting and influential plants? Everyone today knows
  hostas like 'Dorothy Benedict', so how weird would it be for people looking
  back from the future to find no registrations for such important hostas?
        While I disagree personally with Chick's opinion of streaked plants,
  many others agree with him. Neither opinion is wrong in the eyes of either
  the ICRA or the AHosS as neither has any clear rules on the subject. The
  problem with not having rules is clearly illustrated by looking at what
  would happen if the next Registrar decides he is of Chick's opinion and
  again starts refusing any registrations for streaked plants.
                                         .......Bill Meyer

    Hey Bill,
    The daylily registration process continues to evolve just like all the

    IRA's.  The one consistency is the ICNCP "rule book."  The daylily

    reviews each submitted name.  After this review each name is submitted to
    the full "Registrations Committee" along with the Registrar's

    for each name.  Sometime the recommendation is to reject because the name

    already used or is in direct conflict with an existing rule (the reason is
    always stated). This is all done via email and the process is efficient

    timely.  After final committee review the registrant is notified of the
    decision.  All decisions are subject to an appeal process.  The first

    of appeal is back to the Registration Committee, the second level is to

    AHS Board of Director's, if still unsatisfied, the final appeal is to the
    International Union of Biological Sciences Commission for the Nomenclature
    of Cultivated Plants.
    I was the first to test of the rules of the previous version of the ICNCP
    rules several years in a daylily registration. I submitted the name "A

    Fishing On A Pond On Monday".  The registrar recommended to the committee
    that the name be denied but the committee overruled her because the ICNCP

    the time stated that names could have up to 30 characters, excluding

    and up to ten syllables.  I was not upset with the Registrar and we remain
    happily married.
    I am not aware of the appeal process within the Hosta society but feel

    any decision could ultimately be appealed to the IUBS.
    We just started growing hostas this year, and next year will be my first
    year of making crosses.  Hopefully a few years later I will register my
    first  hosta.
    Thank you for enjoying our web site.  That is another passion that has
    gotten out of control.