Re: dying hosta & trees

This is what I found on my plants. A white mold.

Last year, I had white mold show up in my mulch after a few day of wetness. Although it was close to my plants, none were effected.

Ray Wiegand

Daniel Nelson wrote:
There are "white molds" that affect plants other than southern blight. I

have seen hostas lose leaves and have only found the mycelium(that why
the name "white mold") with no characteristic mustard seed size fruiting
bodies(as is usually found with southern blight). There are other fungi
closely related to southern blight that cause disease problems in ag
crops and I believe some of these may be affecting hostas also.

My hostas with southern blight do not have the "odor" that you have

The terms "southern blight" and "crown rot" do not refer to the same
disease. These two terms seem to be used interchangeably leading to much

Dan Nelson