Problems need opinions

Hello everyone,
theres been quite a bit of discussion in the past few days about blight/rot,
and much usefull information.
Thank you all.  Unfortunately, I'm a visual type of person, and usually have
to see it to believe it or understand/differentiate it.  I have something
occuring in my garden to a few hostas, all planted in the same area (6 x6)
in a slight low depression on a hill.  All hostas planted there are about 6
yrs. old, never been moved, divided, altered in any way.
Last year, I noticed that Big Daddy was half the size from the previous
year.  Well, half the hosta was smaller, the other half was "normal".  I
thought perhaps , because of fall and spring clean-up= raking (many maple
leaves) I had inadvertently covered it with more soil in the process, or
tree roots were smothering it.  I dug it up, never washing off the soil, and
placed it a foot or so lower, adjusting the depth of planting.
This year, it looked worse.  I dug it up washed off all soil, and found the
main crowns to be mush...soft and rotted.
In the same area, same age and all looked great last year for the first
time, is a "Bressingham Blue" a "Frances Williams" (?) and  a "Pizzazz".
They all appear smaller and skimpier than last year!
At first I attributed their behaviour to the abnormal weather conditions,
but now am wondering....can something be brewing?  I would really hate to
dig them and move them, whatever, setting them back, since I've waited this
long to see them at their best , but my gut tells me "do something!"
So, folks, what would you do?
I'm all ears to your suggestions!
Thanks

Barbara