Re: sports

James M. Anderson wrote:
> Ran,
> We may be stumbling on semantics here.  What I mean by truly dormant buds'
> are buds that rarely grow under any circumstances.  In a Hosta such a Sum &
> Substance only a few of the buds that develop at the base of the plant
> actually grow into shoots making this plant hard to propagate in the field.
> BAP does cause more of these buds to go on and break than they would
> normally.  If you remove the apical growing center (or damage it by
> splitting the stem with a knife) you can get the same phenomena.
> I do not disagree with you about the growers responsibility to sell good
> plants to the public.  Bad plant are available, and they are often cheep, so
> I do not see an end to the problem.
> Jim Anderson
I have had a mouse eat the canters from hosta plants, and seen the same
results.  I hope that whare there are areas that growers do not accept
responsibility, the buying public can be made aware of what they should
look "out" for.  That is why local Hoista Societies need to help carry
on the education process.