Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #494

>Joe Halinar says at 9:27 Sunday that there is a vast difference
>between the general notion that Hosta color sports occur at the rate
>of one in 10,000 and reality. He goes on to attribute high rates of
>sporting to the unstable (unsettled ) nature of new plant material
>which has not stood the test of time to observe their true growth
>characterisitics (of juvenility and maturity?).

Someone else made the statement about the unstable nature of new plant
material - can't find you said it, so you will have to attribute that
one to someone else.  However, I don't disagree with the general
premise.  When you start mixing genomes from diverse species you can
get interesting results.  Don't know what role this may play in
sporting.  I do know that Ben's ideas are not particularly of any
value.  As to the mutation rate in hostas I assume it is the same as
for any other plant genera.  Sporting in hosta can occure at a very
high rate, but that comprises a lot of different mechanisms.

As a note, the off types found in TC hostas can also be produced at
higher rates without using TC, but applying some TC ideas.  In
reality, the rate of off types can actually be lower in TC then
without TC depending on how you propagate your hostas.

Joe Halinar