Re: Computer trojans, worms, and the like.

Hi Narda,
I don't know what you are implying here--about the Packards and
Fords.  That MS-Windows is "newer" technology?  I'm not certain from your post.

What I was pointing out is that due to initial design logic, i.e. that
the system was never designed for the needs of a secure server, a user has
multiple points of vulnerability whenever they chose to attach to the
internet.  MS-Windows exposes the user to much greater risks than
what are found on server class O/S's.  This is not often explained to
users when they purchase their windows-based PC's.

In my opinion, this should be stamped on the outside of the box, like a surgeon
general's warning.  You can tell from the number of posts regarding
viruses that people are both concerned and affected by these problems.  Without
controls in place, we will be sending each other viruses even though we may
consider our list to ALL be trusted users.

Some who even "like" each other will transmit these viruses to each other.  I
hope to install a package on my mail "server" (note that I said mail
SERVER, not mail CLIENT) soon that can help detect some of these, but this is
something that Windows users MUST have in place, or be at great risk.  That's all I
was saying...

Andrew Lietzow