Re: Unregistered Hostas

Jean Carpenter wrote:
> One would think that if one was not a member of the 'hosta society'
> one could not grow unregistered hosta or sell them.
>      I do believe there are a lot of unregistered beautiful hosta out there
> and a hundred dollar price tag doesn't make them worthy. IMHO.
> JC
The AHS will make no attempt to "controll" the selling of haosts by
those that are not members, or part of the organization.  I believe that
more than half of the "named plants being sold, traded, and /or gifted,
are not registered.  You will find plemty of nurseries selling
unregistered plants.  you may not ,however have a good description of
the plant and it's habit, if it is not registered.  you also run some
risk that the "named " plant you buy, is using the name of another ,
alredy registered plant.  Price by the way of any plant, seldome if
reflective of the "value" of that plant.   But is "set" by the old law
of supply and demand.  In other words if there are only four of a rare
plant variety, and one is offered at 300.00, ----what is the real value
of the plant?  if no one buys it , the value is really 0.  On the other
hand , if the first plant is offered as above and 25 people send checks
for the amount--------what do you think the second plant is worth?