Auction/library/taxes

Once again, Dan has given inciteful, well-written comments on the subject
of both the auction and the availability of hosta library pictures. Have to
admit I like Bob's policy of referring requests to the photographer.
Photographers should have the right to refuse use of their pictures without
permission. If I am a nurseryman producing a catalog and needing to
illustrate what I offer, it is just as unethical (and maybe illegal) for me
to lift a picture without permission from the library as it is to get it
without permission from from Mary Chastain's site or the Plant Delights
catalog.

If I were so fortunate as to have one of my pictures posted at the Library
site, I would probably be happy to have it used...But not without credit
and not without my specific permission on a case to case basis. If WalMart
is having a sale on hostas, which makes them a hearty profit, would I be
happy if they used my photo from the library for their ads? No way, Jose!
But if Ran, or Chick or Gary or ??? want to use it to illustrate one of
their offerings, I would be honored. Allowing one and not the other is just
my way of supporting the production and sale of quality hostas.

Joe also raises a valid point. If the auction makes enough money to allow
us to bank it and use the interest to support the site, I think we MUST
have official non-profit status.  Otherwise, Bob runs a big risk.. The
first step is probably getting a commercial account at a local bank, not
putting the money into a personal account.  This is different from the
donators having tax dealings..Getting non-profit status is not that
difficult; I've gotten it for a small professional society of which I was
once treasurer. And if income is less than a certain amount (which I'm sure
it will be in this case) you dont even need to file a return.

Using the excess auction funds to pay for web access in the future is a
good idea. Let's do it right.

Gerry