Re: The Tiara Story

  • Subject: Re: The Tiara Story
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:24:50 -0500

Hi Dan,
Everybody here had that same problem. I do not think fungus is the prime cause. With our four consecutive drought summers the plants went heat dormant every years just when the rhizomes put out new roots to store up energy for next years growth. As a result the rhizomes exhaust themselves totally using up all tissue, getting smaller and smaller and drying up completely. Fungus may have something to do later, but usually there is no plant tissue left to devour. Just crumbly, dry dirt where the rhizome and the roots  used to be.
W. George