Re: Frost Heaved Hostas - I Wish!

I'll take frost heaved hostas anytime as opposed to no hostas!  That nice
weather we had, well I found my first victim to the voles.  I purchased a
Golden Teacup last year, it is no more.  Voles in a new area and they had a
nice meal of GT.  It was next to the house so the soil was not frozen, I
thought something looked not quite right and in digging in the area, there
is nothing left except I one long root.

I really didn't think the voles would dig up hostas but I found their hole
maybe a foot away.  I'm sure GT was in the ground.  I was very careful last
fall in my cleanup because of the slugs and I know every hosta was securely
in the ground.  Now I'm wondering if anything is secure.

I have a couple of hostas that are showing above ground also.  I don't know
if it is growing up, heaving, or soil erosion.  These are large clumps.   I
rather believe it is the latter, although even hugh rocks in farm fields
Should I dig and replant?  Hard work!  That will probably be best because if
I cover it with soil it will probably just erode again.  To many hillsides!

Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5