fungus gnats

Dear Hosta fans
Earlier Mary Chastain reported that 0.1 % lysol on 80 % alcohol
killed fungus gnats Some of you tried and killed their plants
instantly No surpise with 80 % alcohol! ( Mary used bottom
watering!!) I made up a solution of 0.1 % lysol ( = cresol soap 50%)
without the alcohol. When I sprayed it the larvaa came out of the
soil immediately , only to return some time later So I doulbled the
concentration. Again they came out and returned to soil So I doubled
again this time they came out and stayed out dead. No harm to the
plants. So 0.4 % works Caveat The smallest amount will remind you of
an oldfashioned hospital  for hours . There it was used in a 3%
solution to clean floors and walls.
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden