Re: suggestions for journal improvements etc

zonneveld@RULBIM.Leidenuniv.nl writes:

<< 5. THe AHS should ask itself why they have so few members (
 Hosta Is the number one perennial!), why so few of the local
 members are a member of the national society and why there is
 such a low foreign participation.
 ^. For me there are strong parallels between the American public
 society( Dont ask, shoot first), as exemplified especially during the
 recent elections, and the behaviour of  the Hosta society and its
 members. I must say in that respect I learned a lot!  >>
   Why would you assume the AHS has so few members? Isn't 3777 enough? How
many have more? Why would you correlate the Hosta being the number one
perennial with Hosta society membership? I have many iris's and daylillies
but I am not a member of either society. Where did you get your data on the
membership of Local Societies NOT being members of the AHS? And what is your
meaning of so few? Are you the President of the National Netherlands Hosta
society or the publisher of their national Hosta journal? If you had limited
resources, depended on all volunteer help, had an extremely diverse
membership, and saw that the potential for growth was in the US rather than
in Europe as indicated by the rapid growth in City, State and Regional
American Societies, what would be the intelligent thing to do to promote
growth in American Hosta Society? Frankly I think a 12% growth rate is good
considering everyone is volunteer.
    I am just asking? :-)

Solidarity, Katherine A. Klass
                4439 Valhalla Road