Re: Question on H.Kathryn Lewis

  • Subject: Re: Question on H.Kathryn Lewis
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:05:35 -0500

Hi Mike,
           Looks like everybody's leaping first today. The photo attached is
of the plant I saw at Chelsea on the Bowden's stand. If you magnify it a
little, you can clearly read that it says 'Kathryn Lewis' on the label. A
visit to the Bowdens' website found it spelled 'Katherine Lewis' and
described as a 'Halcyon' sport. It's clearly the same plant, so I have to
confess my information on it may out-of-date. Perhaps Roger can set us all
straight if he sees this. The original description had it as the sport of a
seedling of 'Halcyon', but that may have been that wrong as well. There
certainly seems to be a mistake somewhere.

.............Bill

> << or 'Katherine' Lewis. In the library photo description it states this
> plant is a H.Halcyon sport, and the Lemke file says it's a sport of June.
> Which is correct? TIA!

>  >>

> Hosta-open:
>
> Somewhere is the distant past I learned>>>>>>Look before you leap.??
>
> It does not appear that any one of the discussants took the time to go
back
> to the Hosta Library and look up 'Katherine Lewis'.  It carries my, ID
2541
> CU and in parentage it states >>Sport of Halcyon.  On the bottom line it
> states from a letter from Roger Bowden that the hosta was introduced by
Alan
> Lewis and named after his daughter 'Katherine Lewis."  So we have ID 2541
ES