Re: color blue in June

AmberWaveG@aol.com wrote:
I still think to much is being read into all of this. ... As for Patriot, I
think I have about five different variant forms, but they are all still just
Patriot.
Then at what point are they not Patriot?  It seems to me that you have made your own determination of what is and is not a sport.  If plants that are visibly different are still the same plant, then why is Minuteman not Patriot, and why are both of them not just varient forms of Francee?  If we know the characteristics of  Francee, or any other hosta, then in my opinion, any plant that does not exhibit those characteristics in any significant way is not that hosta.

I have a sport of Francee that comes up with a bright chartreuse green center and then changes to the dark green common to Francee.  By early summer, there is no difference between this plant and Francee, but in my opinion it is not Francee.  If I want a plant of Francee, then I want Francee, not some varient, regardless of whether someone else thinks the varient is important or not.  In Bill Nash's example, to me, the all green form of On Stage is not H. montana because it is not the plant that has traditionally been distributed as H. montana.  It has a different leaf form, different habit, and presumably like On Stage, emerges much later.  While botanically, I assume that it is H. montana, it is not the standard H. montana and if I ordered H. montana, the green form of On Stage is not the plant I would be expecting.

The whole point of giving plants names is to be able to identify them.  It seems to me that hostas that are not the same should not have the same name.  In Jim's picture, I don't think these are just different forms of Guacamole, they are different plants.  The plants that are not the same as the plant that we know as Guacamole should either be given a different name or should be discarded.  The fact that hostas seem to be infinitely variable makes this more complicated than it is in most plants, so I guess there has to be a bit of leeway allowed, but my preference would be to have as little leeway as possible.

Chick