Re: color blue in June

Nice one Chick.
Tim over the pond
----- Original Message -----
From: Chick
Sent: 03 July 2001 15:25
Subject: Re: color blue in June

I'm not saying that such plants should be registered, although I see no harm in it because I see the registrations as simply a list of "variants" to one degree or another.  Whether you want to name or introduce it is up to you.  All I'm saying is that a Francee variant that is visibly different from Francee, is not, in my opinion, Francee.  It should either be identified as not being the same as the "real" Francee, or it should be kept out of circulation.

This year I got a message from a customer who said that the Northern Halo I sent her was not NH because she had a NH in her garden already and mine was not the same.  There are a number of NH "variants" on the market and unless you get your plants from Walters, which we do, and assume that there are no variants in their stock, I don't see how you can know what plant you are going to receive when you order one.  Unfortunately, when plants are sold as small as tc liners, there is often no way anyone can know that there is some variation among plants.  And sometimes the people who get the finished plants do not know that what they receive is not exactly like the "real" one.  Because hostas vary the way they do, even if everyone plays by the rules, and even if there was total agreement on what is and is not a sport, and even if all of us knew what we were doing, we will still have these problems.  We can only do the best we can not to screw things up any more than they are.  I still agree with the policy that it is better to have 10 different names in the registration than to have 10 different plants with the same name.

In this particular instance, anyone who wants to have a different opinion is free to do so.

AmberWaveG@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 07/02/2001 10:29:27 PM US Eastern Standard Time,