Yesterday and Today on Hosta- Open

  • Subject: Yesterday and Today on Hosta- Open
  • From: Patty Woodbury <saluki13@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 21:10:41 -0400

Bob, who is a gentleman and nice person makes a comment re dirty
jokes on Hosta Open. Although Bob is a good parent and an intelligent
person who would know how to install parental controls on his
computer-he makes a reasonable request to have them removed from the
list. Maybe he HAS parental controls on his computer, that is not the
point. He felt that dirty jokes did not belong on Hosta-Open.

People voiced their opinions on whether dirty jokes belonged here or
not. Most agreed that they do not.

 From what I've read, Jim says he will still post them and wants Bob
to install parental controls.

The majority of people still do not want them.

Helen gets irked and starts taking "shots" at Bob and people who
don't want the dirty jokes. From there, she maintains that Canadians
are better than Americans and states that she is glad that she is
Canadian. I'm still trying to figure out what that has to do with
dirty jokes.

Gary gives Bob a nice comment, which, in my opinion, is well deserved
and is called a "Brown-nose". I'm now trying to figure out what that
has to do with dirty jokes. I'm also trying to figure out why a nice
comment makes him a "Brown-nose". I agree with Gary, does that make
me a "Brown-nose"?  If so, I guess I'm glad to be a member of the
"Brown-nose club".

The majority of people still do not want them.

Someone posts a question about a pond and ShayDguy makes the
statement that THIS IS NOT ABOUT HOSTA.

Mention of Nardaa's father is made as he is a gun dealer. I am trying
to figure out what THIS has to do with dirty jokes.

Preston suggests complaining to aol as Jim refuses to honor the
request to remove the dirty jokes.

Lu, in my opinion, makes a good point that, "if even ONE person finds
them offensive that he should remove them and start his own list. "

Chick, made this excellent point, "As for those who are offended by
talk of anything other than hostas, I think that we have to live with
the fact that this is a forum of people who are interested in
hostas, not people who are interested only in hostas.

Bob made this good point, "If you want this stuff you and Jim could easily just
send it back and forth." This is true.

Michael said, "    Occasionally talking about trees, hosta companion
plants, or something
not even related to hostas should certainly be allowed, but if kids are
going to read the open (and there is nothing to stop them from subscribing),
then no, there should be no smut allowed. Period."   I agree.

Doesn't this all sound hard to believe? I was telling my husband
about it at dinner and he couldn't believe it.

Lots more points were made and if you want to review them, go to
http://www.mallorn.com and click on Hosta-open, which is listed as a
free list to discuss Hostas. It's all there in the archives.

I would be glad to take a poll and post the results. Or, if anyone
has a better idea, I'd be glad to hear it.

 From what I've read already, the majority of people still don't want them.
Patty Woodbury
http://saluki13.tripod.com (Home Page)
http://igrescueitems.tripod.com (Italian Greyhound Club of America Rescue Site)